So I’ve started taking an online class for food photography. I really enjoy learning all the different tips and techniques that make a good photo. The more interesting side of it though is that I have to cook…a lot. You gotta have something to photograph right? Well the yesterday I looked in my pantry wondering what I could make to photograph that day. The easiest solution for me is to make something we will eat anyway, that way I’m not wasting a lot of food. I knew eventually I would need to eat lunch so I decided to whip up spinach and onion quesadillas.
These quesadillas have a great story! Back in high school my best friend and I would go to Chili’s for dinner ( or lunch, or snack time)….a lot. We would typically share a $5 queso appetizer, drink water, and take full advantage of their free chip refill. Funny enough, the waitstaff never seemed to mind us, even though the tip on a $5 tab wasn’t going to amount to much. Or maybe my naïve high school mind didn’t pick up on their irritation. Anyway, when best friend and I had a little more money in our pocket, we would order the veggie quesadillas. They came loaded down with spinach, onions and a whole host of other delicious veggies. They would come with a side of sour cream and black beans. For some INSANE reason, Chilis got rid of this delicious menu item many years ago. That’s where this recipe comes from! I tried to recreate that flavor with these quesadillas. They aren’t exact, but they are delicious in their own right.
First your going to sauté thinly sliced onions in a slab of butter until they are brown and delish.
Next you will add your spinach and a few seasonings. Keep on cooking until your spinach is nice and wilted.
Here comes the best part! Load up those tortillas with spinach, onions and cheesy goodness.
Slather some more butter in your pan and fry up your quesadilla. I like mine brown and crispy on both sides!
Each quesadilla can be cut equally into 4 triangles. I don’t think you will stop at 4 though. If you are like me, you will want to eat at least 6 maybe 8…okay lets be honest, it’s more like 10.
There you have it, an easy lunch or dinner. I highly recommend heating up a side of black beans to go with these. Don’t forget to top them with sour cream or salsa, it’s really the best way to eat them!
Spinach and Onion Quesadillas
- 2 small yellow onions thinly sliced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 burrito sized tortillas
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Sauté sliced onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until they are soften and slightly browned.
- Add spinach to the onions and cook until wilted.
- Season spinach and onion mixture with salt and garlic powder.
- Fill tortilla with 1/6 of the spinach and onion mixture. Top with an ounce of cheese (or more if you like!).
- Fold tortilla in half to make it a quesadilla shape.
- Add a little butter to pan, sauté quesadilla on both sides until toasted brown and cheese is melted.
- Fill and cook the rest of the quesadillas.
- Cut the quesadilla into 4 triangles each and enjoy!